How to Prepare For an Interview
Prepare. Practice. Be yourself.
The interview process is the chance for both of us to find out whether Unison is the right choice for you. It’s as much your opportunity to learn what we do and the values that guide us in our work, as it is our opportunity to learn about you. We have compiled the following tips to help you succeed in your interview so that we can both make the best informed decision possible.
Unison is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Here are a couple of tips that would help you do well at the interview:
- Review the job description carefully specifically the job duties and skills required. Come prepared to talk about your achievements and your successes in those areas.
- When asked a question, frame your answer in three steps: situation, action, and result. Briefly describe the situation, how did you handle it and the outcome as a result of your actions. When talking about the results, make sure to mention the positive impact your actions had on the team/ department/ organization.
- Illustrate your examples with experiences from previous jobs, internships or volunteer opportunities.
- We are a community-based organization, so you may be asked what you know about the neighbourhoods we serve and the challenges they face.
- We operate from a pro-choice, harm-reduction, anti-oppression, and participatory framework. Be prepared to discuss how would you ensure those values are integrated in your day to day work. Culture Statement questions.
- Finally, the interview is an opportunity for you to learn about us too! We encourage you take the opportunity to ask any questions that would help you to make an informed decision.
What We Look For
We hire people with great potential in the following areas:
- Team work: Working cooperatively and productively with others to achieve results
- Resourceful: proactively identifying problems and coming up with creative solutions
- Commitment to organization and community: embracing our mission, vision and values and being an ambassador for the organization; advocating for and contributing to positive outcomes for the clients/ stakeholders
Our employees come from diverse backgrounds and experiences, but what we all have in common is the passion for our work and the commitment to make a difference in the lives of people in the communities we serve.